"If I die young,
Burry me in satin,
Lay me down in a bed of roses.
Sink me in the river at dawn,
Send me away with the words of a love song.
The sharp knife of a short life."
The words of this song have come to mean so much more to me ove the past few days. Our small community has been plauged by the death of youth this month. At the beginning of August we lost a young man who was going to be a freshman this year. He died in a 4-wheeling accident. If that wasn't enough, last Sunday in the wee hours of the morning, two high school senior girls were headed back from a rodeo and fell alseep at the wheel. The car rolled several times and both were killed.
As I went to the viewing last night (which is the first one I've ever been to) the reality struck me of what it means to be dead. The girls looked as if they were sleeping, physically, but looking upon them you could tell their spirits had gone out of them and what remained was only the shell of who they are. I say "are" because I know that they still exist in the Heavens and doing a great work where they are. The Lord must have need of these of young souls and a great work for them to do.
I have watched the young women in my ward (the Laurels especially) struggle with this event and as I have thought of what I could say or do to comfort them I have found comfort myself. I have realized that the Lord truly has a plan for each of us and that there is a reason I am still here. If the Lord wanted me He could take me, but there is work yet for me to do. And so it is with each of us. I have also hard the stark reality put into effect that we are not invinsible. Life is precious and can be taken away in a split second.
As I try to understand why this event occurred and why three lives were cut so short I am reminded that
"Life's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."
Life is precious and I hope I can remeber that and not take my life or the people in it for granted.
4 comments:
Thank you for sharing that...I think we do need to remind ourselves why we are here...and to make each day count. :)
I have had this on my mind lately as well and have had lots of reminders. Thanks for sharing this.
Thanks! That was what I needed to read. I agree to it all. I've been thinking a lot about how fragile life is and how we need to appreciate it and those around us.
You always know how to put it perfectly! Thank you for your comforting words and for your wonderful example, not only to the girls, but to all of us!! You're truly amazing.
Post a Comment