"For [God] will fulfill all His promises which He shall make unto you, for He has fulfilled His promises which He has made unto our fathers." ~ Alma 37:17

Monday, January 25, 2010

A Bit of a Scare

This last weekend Rusty and I have had a bit of a scare with our little one.  Friday night I started having a little bit of bleeding.  On Saturday, I again found some blood and as the day continued it progrssively got worse.  Fearing that I had lost this baby I called the doctor in a panic and he told me that I was having a "threatened miscarriage."  He said that I basically have a 50/50 chance of keeping this pregnancy.  This was Saturday morning.

Later that afteroon I went to the movies with my sister-in-law because we had it planned and the doctor told me it wouldn't make a difference wether I stayed home in bed or just went about my day so I did.  Not such good advice.  As the day progressed so did the bleeding.  To me, it just looked like a period (a pretty light one), but I thought you weren't supposed to have a period when you're pregnant!  Again fearing the worse, I called the doctor on call and he told me to go to the hospital and get checked out.  I called Rusty and headed up to the hospital (luckily I was already in the town of the hospital we have chosen to go to!)

I was quickly admitted into the emergency room and had all of the normal, routine check-in stuff done.  Once Rusty got there I felt much more at ease and then he and his brother Quin gave me a blessing.  It was the sweetest belssing I have ever heard and one that was so full of not only the tender feelings of a husband for a wife, but also of a Heavenly Father for his daughter, and a father for his unborn baby.  I am so grateful for the power of the priesthood.

Later, they took me back and did two different ultrasounds and found that I am actually only 6 weeks along (according to the ultrasound and my hormone levels).  The ultrasound technician said the baby is in good postion and everything looks as it should, but he couldn't find a heartbeat.  He wasn't too alarmed by this and simply said he thinks it is too early to find one.

After that the doctor did a pelvic exam and everything looked good there and I'm not dialating, which is TERRIFIC news!  To follow-up I have to go to my regular doctor this week and he will do another ultrasound where he will hopefully find a heartbeat.  Until then I just have to be careful and wait.  Oh joy!

I hope and pray that things continue to be okay with my little one and that I can continue to work so that Rusty and I can make ends meet.  Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers!  I'll keep all of you posted on how things develop. 

7 comments:

Jeff and Ang said...

Good luck to you! I had bleeding with my last two pregnancies and both were born healthy and happy! My last time I went to the hospital and they found the placenta had detached a bit to cause the bleeding, although the hospital told me it was 50/50 a nurse came in and told me she sees this many times and most woman go on to have healthy full term babies. I will keep you in my prayers though, good luck and try to get some rest (:

Carrie said...

We hope and pray both you and the baby are healthy and strong. Let us know when you get to hear that little ones heart beat.

Mardi said...

in my prayers for sure!

Meagan said...

You will be in my thoughts and prayers! :)

Bobi... said...

You will be in our prayers Bri and Rusty. :o)

the Petterson Family said...

I'll definetely be praying for you two!

Lisa Love said...

Ditto what everyone else said. You are being prayed for. :)